"school appropriate" also Art&fear thoughts

---------

From: E Jane Beckwith (ejb35_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 16:55:59 PDT

How much do you think about what is/is not "school appropriate?" What
does that term mean to you?

I forget who used the term last time on the list, but I have seen it
before, and with my interest in censorship I wonder if it is about
self censoring as a teacher and if you mind doing it or just think it
is sensible given various sensibilities, the PC thing, and the shock
art thing.

"School appropriate" Did you learn about it in your education
classes? Or did you learn about it by having a few surprises on the
job? Is "school appropriate" something pre-service teachers should
learn about and discuss? For example, should it be mentioned in art
ed textbooks?

I am having a wonderful if crazy summer, teaching and learning. My
take on Art and Fear was to give myself a present, so I signed up for
two creative writing courses with a favorite English prof. at TC. I
just finished narrative (personal) writing and I am now doing poetry.

It may be off the topic of art, but I have been longing to wed my
photos with some text. It is happening and I am so excited and
energized.

So I feel like I have to share some poems I wrote today
THe first is about my excellent cat, Margaret who is 15.

Margaret,
yowling
before I can dry off;
before I can towel my hair.
I follow her, dripping.
She leads me to her bowls.
See. The food is gone.
All gone.
And in the water dish
a hair is
floating.

And here's one on LOVE GONE WRONG in honor of a friend who is going
through a BREAK UP.

I wonder why
no one has written
a slim book
on relationships.
Look.
The shelves and shelves of selp-help
where women (mostly) stand.
Tears drop on the pages; on their hands --
yet all that's needed is one chapter...
heck
a paragraph will do.
Or even just a simple phrase:
"Please please me, (oh yeah),
like I please
you."

What gifts have you given yourself this summer? Did Art and Fear
inspire you like that? Or what did it do. I plan to respond better to
the three chapters later, but now I gotta go and write my poetry
homework.

Cheers. Jane in Brooklyn

---