keeping entertained

---------

From: krista hagan (khagan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 15:29:26 PDT

I just finished my very first year of teaching (middle school) and it
took me until the last quarter to realize that not only did my students
"produce" better, but they were on task WAY more than when I would hover
all over them. At first I felt really guilty, like I wasn't teaching,
if I kind of backed away. Then I remember how much I hated when a
teacher would stand over us every 5 minutes to see how we were doing. Of
course I still walk around the room, and of course there are still
projects that need me to be with every student, for every second.
However, one of my own major goals, was to help the students be more
self-sufficient. They all are, if you let them be (for most projects). I
think I accomplished something when at the end of the year, my students
were really into there work and not constantly needing me. If I hover,
they'll always think they need me.

As for doing ones own work in class, I don't do it, but I think if one
is able, what a wonderful thing for students to see! To see that their
teacher is not just teaching them every day, but still passionate about
and still creating their own work. This is obviously for those projects,
or times during projects when students are really able to be on their
own. I would have been so inspired, I think, if I saw my teachers
involved in their own creations.
-krista

---