Re: allowing independance

---------

From: Deborah Gilbert (dngart1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 11:19:51 PDT

on 7/15/02 1:00 AM, Jayna said

> My
> students know what is expected of them, and
> consequently they are rarely needy. I am prepared for
> them when they come in the room, and my room is
> organized in such a way that they know where to find
> everything.

I like the way you stated that, Jayna. I am a firm believer, even with
elementary, that kids will rise to my expectations. From day one, I tell
all classes, even Kindergarten, where to find everything in the room and
they know that if they need something for their project, they can go get it
but then they also have to put it back. I have never felt that I was doing
the kids a service if they were always dependant on me for permission to do
every little thing. I have found that this attitude pays off because the
kids know I trust them and that helps them with their self esteem which in
turn helps them with their artmaking.

Deborah

---