Re: tissue paper - long

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 22:28:35 PDT

on 7/15/02 8:05 AM, Jackie Aust at ja1997@bryanisd.org wrote:

> I have come in contact with soooooo much colored tissue paper.
> I was thinking about a lesson in painting using the tissue paper
> as the paint. Has anyone every worked with tissue in this way
> and if so, would you mind sharing your lesson, what you worked
> on as a base surface, and how you applied the tissue.

jackie, this is very intriguing! i just visited a friend to see her new
living room paint job. she called it "elephant skin" - a faux painting
technique. her painter did it by crumbling up white tissue paper then
smoothing it out and applying it over prepainted walls with some type of
clear glaze. to me it looked like mod podged walls but it was VERY beautiful
with a texture that did look like leather or elephant skin. her painter told
her it was a special, very thin tissue and that's why it cost $.80 a sheet.
i have NO iDEA what kind of tissue paper costs that much but perhaps someone
on the list knows about this.
anyway, regarding your query, i am picturing this textured tissue combined
with the color field style of helen franthaler. one of my favorite K-1st
lessons is to give the kids large paper taped to newspaper sheets which we
put on the floor in groups of 3-4 kids. each group has 5-6 colors of paint
in squeeze bottles in a dishpan, and each color has a piece of sponge with a
clothespin handle to spread it with. we talk about imagining we are floating
through a "color field" - a rainbow-like atmosphere - and can see colors all
around us - we float out of one color and into another - paint what that
looks like. i don't use any primary/secondary colors, but premix an
interesting variety of colors in the bottles.
now i'm thinking the same kinds of large abstract shapes using tissue and
thinned elmer's (or mod podge or ross art paste) could have that elephant
skin texture and the depth of image you can get from overlapping the
colors... it certainly looks beautiful in my mind's eye.
i forgot to mention - when the paintings are dry, i tell the kids about
helen f. and how her compositins reminded her of places/landscapes. then i
give the kids small people which i meticulously cut out of magazines to move
around in their paintings to give them a more concrete way of seeing the
picture as an atmosphere or environment of color. they really love that
part. i'm not sure i explained that very well but if anyone would like
clarification give a holler.

linda in michigan

oh, i just thought of henri matisse! especially "the beasts of the sea"
tissue paper collage with paper cut outs on top...can't wait to hear other
ideas!

---