Re: "Why don't you help me?" (somewhat long)

---------

From: Jude & Frank Grochowski (jgrochowski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 07:50:40 PDT

Hi all,
    I do a couple of things, which have assisted the students in moving
towards independence (so sometimes I can....okay, not going there again!
:-).
    Anyway, one thing I've done is to put kids into teams-when they sit at
tables, this is pretty easy, (and can be adapted to non table room
arrangements)...the group they are with (my sitting arrangement) is their
feedback group-once I have gone over the stuff I present, their questions,
suggestions, etc...get filtered thru their group first-and if someone comes
to me, the rule is 'have you asked your table mates about this first?' When
they do sketch proposals, the tablemates verbally critique the sketches and
write their suggestions on the page before the student does revisions to be
turned in for a grade.
    The only other thing I have to add to this thread, on a one-on-one
basis, is that if I suggest a solution to a kids problem, I conclude by
saying, 'now that's my idea and you may not use it'. My premise is in
Art -and I say this all the time to them-the wonderful thing is I can assign
a problem and I get to see 25 different solutions and everytime we talk
about the work, because we are ll so different, what I or another will say
will spark a variety of images in your head...so my 'solution' as I sit with
a kid has probably prompted many other ideas for them anyway.
    I think this type of need is prompted by the old internal critic running
it's tapes in the kids head anyway, and that's another issue I address
frequently at the beginning of the semester, til hopefully they are able to
allow themselves to risk-take and enjoy.
Jude

> I'm curious as to how you all would answer a student in a high school
studio
> class who is demanding of help

---