Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Fwd: Re: "Why don't you help me?"

From: Jackie Aust (ja1997_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 05:56:05 PDT

I get this all the time. "Why don't you just save us all time
by telling me what to do". When I begin the studio part of a
lesson, I always tell my students up front that this is the time
for them to create. I have giving them the background technique
knowledge, I have the research subject, we discuss various
approaches, I show past examples, now it is their time to show
me. I call it test time. During this time I will provide
feedback on something that has been started. Students will ask
me if this is correct. I answer by asking, "When you are
taking that multiple choice test in English, math, science, etc,
do you answer a question then ask the teacher if this is
correct. Boy you wouldn't believe some of the answers. Most of
the time it does show the student that I am evaluating. Do I
totally leave the student on his own, NO. Like I stated, once
something is there, and they ask for feedback, depending on what
the studio project is, I critique with student, or I have groups
of students critique. When knowing they are going up against
each other, they take more pride in work. I also pair unlikely
students together. Majority of the time, I help by questioning
the students. Many begin to know, for I do this from day one<
that asking and working with other students is what I like to
see, then I jump in when several are stumped. As I am
monitoring the students, if I see many doing something wrong,
such as technique, I do a "Time Out" and demonstrate again.

"You can't climb uphill by thinking downhill thoughts."

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of
things, but their inward significance." ~ Aristotle

Jackie Aust

Director of Visual Art (K-12)
 Fine Arts Department Head-Bryan High
3401 East 29th Street