Re: Fwd: Re: "Why don't you help me?"

---------

From: Jackie Aust (ja1997_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 05:56:05 PDT

I get this all the time. "Why don't you just save us all time
by telling me what to do". When I begin the studio part of a
lesson, I always tell my students up front that this is the time
for them to create. I have giving them the background technique
knowledge, I have the research subject, we discuss various
approaches, I show past examples, now it is their time to show
me. I call it test time. During this time I will provide
feedback on something that has been started. Students will ask
me if this is correct. I answer by asking, "When you are
taking that multiple choice test in English, math, science, etc,
do you answer a question then ask the teacher if this is
correct. Boy you wouldn't believe some of the answers. Most of
the time it does show the student that I am evaluating. Do I
totally leave the student on his own, NO. Like I stated, once
something is there, and they ask for feedback, depending on what
the studio project is, I critique with student, or I have groups
of students critique. When knowing they are going up against
each other, they take more pride in work. I also pair unlikely
students together. Majority of the time, I help by questioning
the students. Many begin to know, for I do this from day one<
that asking and working with other students is what I like to
see, then I jump in when several are stumped. As I am
monitoring the students, if I see many doing something wrong,
such as technique, I do a "Time Out" and demonstrate again.

"You can't climb uphill by thinking downhill thoughts."

unknown

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of
things, but their inward significance." ~ Aristotle

Jackie Aust

Director of Visual Art (K-12)
 Fine Arts Department Head-Bryan High
3401 East 29th Street