Re: "Why don't you help me?"

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 20:36:39 PDT

If a student truly doesn't know what to do next then I'll show/tell/explain
to them. However, there is always that one student who seems to believe that
if he/she thinks for themselves then they will use their daily quota of
thoughts for the day. These students I will look at them and exclaim "I
don't know, but I'm sure anxious for you to find out and tell me!".
Eventually the student improves - either they give up and decide it's easier
to just think for themselves, their self-confidence rises from having
personal success, or they transfer to an "easier" class where they truly
believe "Mrs. So-and-So doesn't make us do ANYTHING!"
~Michal

> I'm curious as to how you all would answer a student in a high school
studio
> class who is demanding of help and feels that you should tell her how to
do
> her artwork. I have said things like....I think you'll get more out of
what
> you're doing if you do it your self. Or...answers like...What do YOU
think?
> Some students think that when we don't tell them what to do, that we're
being
> lazy. Any ideas? EAC

---