RE: Fwd: Re: "keeping entertained..."

---------

From: Alix E. Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 11:40:12 PDT

Nicely said Jackie!

-Alix

-----Original Message-----
From: Jackie Aust [mailto:ja1997@bryanisd.org]
Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2002 7:38 AM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: "keeping entertained..."

To all who have responded to this thread, and so many have that
I can not mention names, I see and here many sides. All of
which are correct. Modeling, observing, demonstrating,
critique (individual and group), evaluation, loving, sharing,
laughing, joking, leadership, professional, paperwork and yes
"getting upset", aren't all of these part of a great teacher .
I could not call myself a great teacher if I had not experienced
all of this. I feel too many get uptight when that evaluator
walks in. True, many have no clue what to look for when they
enter our classes but it is important to remember that what
counts is what we know in ourselves and our students understand.
  Okay, I will be honest here, I am the first to admit that I
want to do it by the book, I too am often concerned with what
that evaluator wants to see. If they see any of the above,
then no worry. I have even come right out in a department head
meeting and asked, when we begin these observations, what about
a teacher doing paperwork. As long as the students are engaged,
the teacher is aware of students needs, and the objective is
being met, do it. Yes, this is probably easier on middle school
and high school than elementary. I observe classrooms all
levels, not as an evaluator but as supervisor. I do core
courses and electives. Do you know where I see more
non-involved teacher activity? You got it, in the core courses.
 Too much worksheet activity. Yes, the purchase order forms,
the daily attendance, the questionaires, the general operation
forms can all be done at other times, but the evaluation,
grades, averages, etc, are all part of teaching activities in
the classroom. To finalized, I don't think the "keeping
entertained" was meant to say that this person is not doing what
should be done. I often find that students are so into what
they are doing, they want to be left alone. It is then that I
sit among them, for I am part of them, and many wonderful things
take place, including my own work ( and that work comes in many
forms).

Boy I was long winded this time. Sorry. I don't see any of us
on this list a having problems with being a great teacher for
only the great ones would even take the time to be involved in
this type of staff development.

Enough said.

"You can't climb uphill by thinking downhill thoughts."

unknown

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of
things, but their inward significance." ~ Aristotle

Jackie Aust

Director of Visual Art (K-12)
 Fine Arts Department Head-Bryan High
3401 East 29th Street