Re: "keeping entertained"

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 08:19:53 PDT

Yes, Patricia, you have offended me quite a bit. As
you were hoping that you misinterpreted our posts, I
am hoping I misinterpreted yours, because my
impression is that you believe I am taking advantage
of my position, I am not in fact teaching, and I don't
belong in the classroom.
Please go back and read Woody's comments, because once
again, he has hit the nail on the head.
Why am I able to entertain myself in the classroom
once in a while? Because my classes run themselves. My
students know what is expected of them, and
consequently they are rarely needy. I am prepared for
them when they come in the room, and my room is
organized in such a way that they know where to find
everything. Yes, I am lucky that they are mature
middle schoolers, and most are self-motivated. I'll be
quick to assure you that the times when I need to be
entertained are times when students are working UP to
the problem given in the assignment (i.e. cutting,
gluing, folding, coloring), NOT on the problem itself.
Am I too self-absorbed to "be there" for my students
when they need me, or am I giving them a bit of
freedom and allowing them to make decisions on their
own before I offer suggestions? Please don't assume
you know the answer before you have seen me teach.
I'm sorry that Susan on Long Island doesn't understand
how any art teacher could need "entertaining", that's
one of the reasons I decided not to be an elementary
art teacher, I was afraid it would be exhausting. And
I am sorry that you, Patricia, feel that you are so
busy leading your high schoolers in the direction of
success that you cannot take a minute during the
workday to entertain yourself. Maybe the answer as to
why some of us like me and Bunki are able to entertain
ourselves is because the middle school environment
allows us to. I think that allowing ourselves to be
relaxed enough to work on our own stuff or to
reorganize a bookshelf shows the students that they
are trusted and respected enough to be a little
independent. My students know that if they need me
they've got me, no matter how much goo is on my hands
or how far my arm is stuck down that kiln.
Do I need to tell you that I'm biting my tongue here?

Jayna