Re: "keeping entertained..."

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 04:09:37 PDT

Bunkie:
    It drives me nuts (does it you?) to start working on an art piece of
my own
    and have the kids come up and bug me about their lesson. I can't
talk and
    work at the same time and if I do, then when the student leaves I
wonder why
    I had painted that "thing" in the middle of my work.

Susan:
Keeping entertained?!!? WORK ON MY OWN ARTWORK during classes!!?!!?
Is this thread a joke, or do only middle school and high school teachers sharing
that luxury?

Susan,
        Yes, I suspect this is a high school / middle school sort of thing. I
too was perplexed
by the original premise until I gave it some thought. I doubt I have
much time to spare in
my 6th grade classes. But, in with my 8th graders there is a time when
they should become
independent of me. If my principal is in the room evaluating me she
marks it down as
"Guided Practice". I don't like the term. I see my students as having
learned the process
and are growing independent. There is so much to do that good teachers
learn to juggle
several items at once. You can't wait to do every task until the
students are gone or you
would never go home. As for calling it entertainment ?????? And I can't
see justification
for doing my own art while the students are working. Interruptions ????
I'm always doing
several things at once. Interruptions are just part of the day, No,
every moment of the day.

        As for "Entertainment", that's why I teach because I find it
delightfully entertaining.
It is a joy to be there every day, if I wanted to "work" I'd have gotten
a real job.

--
This one soars: