Re: "keeping entertained..."

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 22:06:43 PDT

From Susan
> Keeping entertained?!!? WORK ON MY OWN ARTWORK during classes!!?!!? Is this
> thread a joke, or do only middle school and high school teachers sharing that
> luxury?

Thank you Susan for responding. Because I have found this current thread a
bit disturbing. To me it smacks at all the reasons the art teacher and art
program is not respected. I teach high school. I teach AP. I have a class
of kids all on an independent path to fulfilling portfolio requirements --
time for me work -- I wish. I also teach Advanced Art which has a strong
computer art component. ONE day this year I sat down and did some internet
research, while every one was on task and all the computers were acting fine
ONE DAY. I also teach Photo I and II. I have 30 kids in a class and 12
enlargers. My classes are divided in half. Half get to go into the darkroom
and half are getting instruction or slide lectures and I'm running back and
forth between the two. Oh how I'd love to be in the darkroom making my own
prints. I also teach a class called "Why Man Creates" It's an aesthetics
class. It's a lecture everyday. It's a prep everyday, because much of it is
directed to current topics.

What disturbs me about this thread is that I don't know that any English ,
Math, Science or Social Studies teacher would ask the same... how to be
entertained. Sometimes I think we are lucky that we don't come under the
kind of scrutiny that these subject teachers are under.
I know of, and I'm very sorry to say this, art teachers that use their
position , time, and school purchased supplies to further their own art
making. I hope that is not what is being said on this list discussion.

You are not missing anything Susan. I have read enough from you and your
ideas about teaching to know you would never take advantage of any minutes
to teach.

I'm sure some offense is going to be taken here. But if you are worried
about someone coming in to observe and you are doing something other than
teaching/facilitating/guiding/answering questions... then you better find
some other entertainment
Susan, it's not just the little ones that are needy The big ones, too. And
I have my moments when I want to tell them to get out of my face and I do
but that I do is connected to a Why can't you...

I truly hope I am misunderstanding the intention of this "keeping
entertained" question .

Patty

---