Re: "keeping entertained..."

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 21:01:02 PDT

In a message dated 07/13/2002 1:57:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us writes:

> It drives me nuts (does it you?) to start working on an art piece of my own
> and have the kids come up and bug me about their lesson. I can't talk and
> work at the same time and if I do, then when the student leaves I wonder
> why
> I had painted that "thing" in the middle of my work.

Keeping entertained?!!? WORK ON MY OWN ARTWORK during classes!!?!!? Is this
thread a joke, or do only middle school and high school teachers sharing that
luxury? I find my little ones so needy that I (1) NEVER sit down at my desk
during class (2) find that I must circulate around the room during their
work time (3) find so much that I need to do for the little ones such as
change the painting water, wash their brushes, assist them in cutting, hot
glue, if needed, tie a shoe, explain again to the few that just don't get it.
I only have 40 minutes to make the class meaningful- 10 minutes
discussion/review, 20-25 minutes for them to work, 5-10 min. clean-up. Then,
I'm back-to-back classes- and not sequential in grades, all doing different
projects in a variety of messy mediums. How would I find time to do my own
work...and keeping entertained- ha- are you kidding? How about you
elementary school teachers- do you find time to do your own work to "keep
entertained"? If so, please share the tips on how. I must be missing
something or doing something wrong- LOL....
Susan on Long Island

---