Re: "keeping entertained..."

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 11:28:51 PDT

Jayna Huffines wrote:

> But, there are those other projects that involve lots
> of drawing/coloring where I just don't feel as needed,
> and sometimes I get kind of bored! This happens more
> often in a small independent class, but it does
> happen. What do you guys do?

A really great high school art teacher, whom I admire, said they
couldn't go back to teaching Middle School cause she could not
turn her back on the kids. I have had several days when students
were working independent of me that allowed me to:
Photograph art work, roam and shoot photos of them working, cut
mats, get displays ready, find exemplars for next week, inventory, etc.
I don't feel guilty, I feel pride in my students and in the job I've done
weaning them from total dependence upon me. You still need to have the
peripheral vision to spot trouble or when you are needed. Students need to
know that you trust them and they will try to merit that trust in return.

Now, working on my own work is something I could not do in class. I
guess I
need my own space and lots of time by myself to do that.

                                                Woody in KC

--
This one soars: