Re: "keeping entertained..."

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 10:53:31 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: Jayna Huffines <jayna_99@yahoo.com>
>...(snip) Sometimes I work on small
> art projects of my own (like this cool paper mache
> bird I started last year), but I always feel a bit
> guilty, like I should be walking around asking more
> questions of my students. I don't want to come across
> like a bored waiter and annoy them though! Students
> often complain that subs do this and they say its
> annoying....> Jayna
*******************

Aaaahhh. The "guilts". That USUALLY happens after I've patrolled the room,
changed displays, put things away, dusted, finished the next project
example, written a few detentions, and FINALLY sit down at my desk for a few
minutes...which is the same time my principal walks in thinking that ALL I
do ALL day long is sit at my desk. I feel so "quilty" when this happens.
It's eerie how this only occurs with the prince...like he "plans" it
somehow. I think he's got a little peephole somewhere.

Hey...I admire your gumption to do paper-mache with your classroom free
time...bravo! Having MY hands in goo is the perfect time for a student's
"watch me fall out of my chair" demo or the surprise fire drill.

Also...it's interesting what your kids say about sub annoying them. I must
be annoying too...only because I wanna know what they're up to. One day I
decided to be extra friendly and started asking kids personally "How's your
day been so far today?" I had two individual kids say that was the FIRST
time any teacher had ever cared to ask them that! They never answered (too
astonished) but I made an impression that day...hee-hee.

It drives me nuts (does it you?) to start working on an art piece of my own
and have the kids come up and bug me about their lesson. I can't talk and
work at the same time and if I do, then when the student leaves I wonder why
I had painted that "thing" in the middle of my work. Obviously I can't think
and paint at the same time. As someone RECENTLY revealed to me, she can
juggle...but only one ball at a time...which mysterious sounds like me too.

You're still teaching now (right Jayna?) in a year-round school. When do you
get "time off" for vacation? A couple of weeks off after each term or do you
teach more than a 10-month teacher like most of us here?

Toodles....Bunki (who's "keeping entertained" at the computer this morning)

---