"keeping entertained..."

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 09:59:54 PDT

Bunki mentioned gluing colored pencils back together
to keep her entertained while the kids work- glad I'm
not the only one! Some projects I do keep me busy all
day, pointing out where this is or that is, running to
the supply closet for more black paint, hot glue
sticks, or whatever, cutting extra paper, helping
solve a disastrous problem without calling 911, etc.
But, there are those other projects that involve lots
of drawing/coloring where I just don't feel as needed,
and sometimes I get kind of bored! This happens more
often in a small independent class, but it does
happen. What do you guys do? Sometimes I work on small
art projects of my own (like this cool paper mache
bird I started last year), but I always feel a bit
guilty, like I should be walking around asking more
questions of my students. I don't want to come across
like a bored waiter and annoy them though! Students
often complain that subs do this and they say its
annoying. So, I usually find something like wedging
clay, reorganizing cabinets, or whatever before I do
my own artwork.

Jayna