RE: teaching art in Catholic School

---------

From: susan earl (susanearl360_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 19:34:47 PDT

> >I recently accepted a position to teach art at a
>Catholic school starting next year. However, having
>only just finished my first year in the profession, I
>have very little knowledge about how different this
>will be from teaching in a public school. I know that
>the pay isn't as good and that the rules about
>religion in the classroom are different, but what else
>should I expect? I also know very little about the
>Catholic religion. I am planning to do a little
>research on that before school starts. What I am
>really looking forward to is fewer discipline
>problems. My first year was pretty tough. I would
>greatly appreciate any help that you could offer.

I have taught in a Catholic School for 5 years and I love it (except for the
pay!) There are few discipline problems - and they are usually minor. My
curriculum is the same as if I were teaching in a public school except,
since it is a Catholic school, I do a Christmas and an Easter project with
the younger ones. I dislike and otherwise avoid holiday lessons unless it is
a multicultural experience. The students attend mass once a week - it is
optional for me. Everyone understands I am not Catholic and they respect
that. My principal and parents are very supportive, budget is pretty good.
We have an annual art show with an overwhelming attendance - parents are
great about volunteering their help - if it weren't for the pay, it would be
absolutely perfect!!!