Re: Teaching art in a Catholic school

---------

From: Lori Wagner (awesomemom7_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 19:27:08 PDT

re:behavior problems
I just finished my first year teaching jr. high/high school art in a small
Christian school. I was very surprised at discipline problems I
encountered, thinkg that in a Christian school setting they would be
minimal!! I discovered that maybe half of the students at the school, do
not come from a religious background; many come from broken homes, have
witnessed domestic violence, been abused themselves, struggle with
depression, anorexia, ADHD - the list is endless - although the behaviors
I encountered were relatively mild compared to public school (my own
daughter is in a public high school, so we compare notes), I was still
surprised at what I ended up dealing with - I was also surprised at the
number of students with truly serious psychological issues and severe
learning disabilities. We all made it through the year without any major
traumas - but I will be better prepared this fall!
One behavior issue that I encountered regularly, and this seems to be
rampant at many private schools, is the "my dad is on the board, and I can
get you fired if I don't get an A" syndrome!!(Arrrggggh!)
 Anyway, just prepared this fall for anything and everything - and have
fun!! The majority of students are pretty decent kids I've found, who love
to create -
Lori

---