RE: Teaching art in a Catholic school

---------

Renee.Berg_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 14:51:24 PDT

Kimberly, I'm sure you will enjoy your new job. I went from Public to a private Christian school and back to public. I taught the same elements and principles of art but each lesson was based on a bible verse or story at the lower grades. At the higher grades I incorporated biblical values and philosophy. One of my favorite lessons was At 8th grade. Each child took a favorite bible character or one they could relate to. They then wrote an essay regarding how they can relate to that person and then we did 8X12 clay shadow boxes with symbols of that person. We discussed clay terms and design issues. They were beautiful and insightful. Regarding discipline, I found the kids needed just as much discipline as Public school kids, just different kinds of problems. Parents, teachers, and administration were more supporting and it was wonderful starting each day in prayer. God bless
Bergie

Renee Berg
6th,7th Art and 8th grade Art Tech
Mitchell Public Schools