Re: disc problems

---------

From: Susan L. Sanders (slsandrs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 07:54:43 PDT

My husband developed two herniated discs between his fourth and fifth
vertebrae two days before a planned trip to New York. Unfortunately we
didn't know that was what it was...he went to our chiropractor who
unfortunately didn't do exrays, but didn't do any damage either. By the
time we returned to Memphis, he was in veritable pain twenty-four hours
a day. He has a heart condition, so the neurologist he ended up seeing
did not want to do surgery, but put him on a regime of steroids (medrol
dose packs) and pain killers. The medrol dose pack reduce the swelling,
and over a period of time, with rest, heat and cold packs, he has
managed to survive it all. His discs had herniated into his spine,
instead of outwards which meant the doctor would have had to go through
his chest and not his back. That occurred about five years ago, and
occasionally he has a flare up, but usually mild pain killers and a cold
pack to help with the swelling has been all it has taken to keep it
manageable. I do understand that great strides have been made in disc
surgery over the past several years, so it might not be as bad now as it
used to be.

I had a friend who over the summer had disc surgery one day and came
home the next, and has done all right with it.

But I would definitely check out the options.

Susan Sanders
slsandrs@memphis.edu

---