RE: Job Negotiation Tips...Interview Questions

---------

From: Alix E. Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 22:54:43 PDT

Hi,
First of all, are you applying at a public school district? If so, there
isn't much room for negotiation! It sounds like you have run up against the
pay scale differences of school districts. About the only thing that might
be negotiable might be how many years of prior service the new district will
accept. It used to be an appallingly low number of years, like 4-7. These
days, given the teacher shortage, I've seen some positions in California
listed as accepting year for year.

Depending on what state you are in and what district you might be employed
in, there may be pay incentives due to low performing scores. There is also
a pay incentive based on being Nationally Board Certified. I believe there
exists low-interest loans to teachers who buy houses in certain areas in
order to teach locally. It might be worth looking into.

Good luck with your job search and let us know what happens!

Alix Peshette
Technology Coordinator
Emerson Junior High School
Davis, CA