Re: Dealing w/a less than perfect physical teaching space.

---------

From: Eugenia Hess (jean1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 08:06:46 PDT

> I am interested in knowing how you deal with working in a school where the
> physical plant and budget is less than perfect.

2 things

I had a room like that. Since the district was planning a renovation
sometime in the future, they permitted me to go a little nuts. I hung a
military parachute from the ceiling. Sure, the light was a bit dimmer but
the room had atmosphere and the kids loved it. I had an itty bitty sink in
a coat closet, so I schlepped buckets of water from the janitor's closet
down the hall. Kids would clean up any puddles in the hall for me. We
could dump the dirty water down the sink. I'm feeling a bit nostalgic here.
Now my principal thinks I am too messy, the room is cluttered and things
need to be put away, but I tell her that my priority is always going to be
the kids and their art. She DOESN"T complain about my program.

2nd thing: One time the Philadelphia Museum of Art had a small display of
art from a poor inner city school. Their budget allowed crayons and some
paper. The teacher did not show all the things a person could do with
crayon. The teacher brought art work. All fabulous. Those kids all used
the crayon heavily so the colors were jewel-like. There were portraits and
landscapes and absracts. But what was astonishing was that I forgot these
things were crayon, the art was so good, so complex, so creative. That show
humbled me.

The trick for you will be to keep your spirits up working in this
environment. Jeannie in PA

---