Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: Middle School Curriculum/Lessons

From: Alix E. Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 12:36:44 PDT

Just a quick run down of suggestions:

Clay: Social Studies: Islamic tiles, tessellations, Inca, Mixtec, Mayan
ceramic vessels, Egyptian scarabs, hieroglyphics

Painting: Social studies: Renaissance perspective, Asian-inspired mandalas,
mythological creatures, crayon-resist paper batik, Mexican bark painting

Drawing: Social studies: anatomical drawing and shading, technical
drawing, history of the design of money,
Science: visual perception, optical illusions, perspective
Math: tessellations, mandalas

Printmaking: Social studies: Chinese woodblocks, Gutenberg's printing
press, medieval wood cuts, Albrecht Durer's work, Japanese printmaking, Hans
Holbien's Dance of Death (bubonic plague)

Color: Science: visual perception, science of color

I used to teach 7th grade medieval world history along with all the 7th
grade art in the school. It was a blast to combine art with social studies,
math and science!! Have fun!

Alix Peshette
Technology Coordinator
Emerson Junior High School