Venetian plaster how to's

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 05:28:54 PDT

Hi all- I have had several requests for an explanatian
of Venetian Plaster.
First of all- let me confess- I am a huge fan of TLC's
Trading Spaces. One of the designers frequently uses
this faux finishing technique (Doug), so that's where
I got the idea.
You buy a gallon of the stuff and have it tinted at
the paint counter. I bought mine at Home Depot, brand
name Behr. It cost $30 and I used about a gallon and a
third for my tiny kitchen, so it takes alot. It is
about the consistency of cake frosting, maybe a bit
thicker, and you apply it with a trowel. It takes two
applications and a final overglaze coat which
burnishes the finish as you apply it (also with a
trowel). It is also available from Behr, and a quart
costs around $8. I used about two thirds of it.
It took me all weekend- but it looks fantastic. I
would do it again, it was actually kind of fun!
Good luck!

Jayna