Re: art and fear 1-3/Saving Stuff

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 01:37:37 PDT

You lucky duck--I've been looking for a full sized mannequin for years. So
far, I've only acquired one leg--my students think I'm a little wierd!!

Judie

Last year I schlepped home the torso of a life-size mannequin that I found
on the streets of St.Maartin. Someone had embedded Caribe Beer bottle caps
in its bald head- like hair- a very interesting piece! Surely I will need
this someday in my artwork...Rauschenberg would have used it. Better than
the torso was the leg from the mannequin. I wrapped it up in black plastic
garbage bags. Too big to take on the plane with me, it went
"stand-by"...LOL...in the cargo bin. By the time we got through customs,
the toes had ripped through the bottom of the bag, almost making the bag
appear to have a real leg in it. The customs officer looked at it, then
looked at me and said," I'm not even gonna ask...just go through..."

---