Re: art and fear 1-3/Saving Stuff

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 04:22:47 PDT

In a message dated 07/02/2002 6:29:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
judiej50@mindspring.com writes:

> When I make big mistakes on big surfaces, some wonderful surprises occur
> when I cut it up into smaller compositions. You can tear or cut it up
> systematically choosing areas you like by using a view finder, or randomly
> and cut or tear it to reveal more interesting compositions. Hope this
> makes sense.

That's exactly one of the ways in which I work, also. Many times my art with
which I am not happy or satisfied ends up within another composition at a
later time. I almost always save every painting, print, or collage I make,
even if I don't like it or feel it's not successful. I never know when it,
or more likely a part of it, might become an intregal part of a successful
piece.

 I must admit that I save things for exactly the same reasons. I'm saving the
little plastic cases that my disposable contact lens come in. Don't you
think that they will be valuable someday in an art piece? LOL...

Last year I schlepped home the torso of a life-size mannequin that I found on
the streets of St.Maartin. Someone had embedded Caribe Beer bottle caps in
its bald head- like hair- a very interesting piece! Surely I will need this
someday in my artwork...Rauschenberg would have used it. Better than the
torso was the leg from the mannequin. I wrapped it up in black plastic
garbage bags. Too big to take on the plane with me, it went
"stand-by"...LOL...in the cargo bin. By the time we got through customs, the
toes had ripped through the bottom of the bag, almost making the bag appear
to have a real leg in it. The customs officer looked at it, then looked at
me and said," I'm not even gonna ask...just go through..."

Sorry, a little "stand-up" comedy...Do I still have a leg to stand on with
this group?!? I'm not reading the book (although maybe I should). Am I
getting the drift of the discussion? Anyway, my point is that saving stuff
acts as a motivator for me. I don't put pressure on myself to use it right
away, just mull it around im my mind until I'm ready, or the right moment
dictates. BTW, I also paint in a realistic style and an impressionistic
style, so for me this "Rauschenberg phase" is an extention or direction in
which to explore.

Who is the author of the book and the exact title? I wasn't going to be part
of the Book Club, but I'm changing my mind. Sounds interesting. Hope
everyone is enjoying the summer. I just finished school last Wed.
Susan on Long Island

---