Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Henri Rousseau Prints/Images

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 11:12:56 PDT

Years ago, I used to do a lesson where the kids created
their own jungle to paint. I would bring in tropical plants
and build a jungle in the middle of class. The students
would draw plants from observation, one at a time, until
they had filled their jungle. We had lots of overlapping
and cropping of course. Then they added an animal or two,
or three. I tried to get across the concept that Rousseau
had never been in a real jungle either, and had made his
jungles up after visiting the city arboretum. The lesson
also provided a challenge for students to create lots of
different kinds of green. We made it a contest to see who
could create the most greens. I know a lot of adult artists
who could use that challenge. I did this with 6th and 7th
graders. That was back before we were cut from 18 down
to 9 weeks for art, so I dropped the lesson. I don't remember
which reproduction I used but the one below would work well.

"Tropical Forest with Monkeys"
                                                        Woody in KC

              I'm from Kansas,  where the Legislature and BOE
are trying to define the term "suitable" because the constitution requires
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on
to see my watercolors go to
You are welcome to visit my Web Site at