Re: Henri Rousseau Prints/Images

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 11:12:56 PDT

Years ago, I used to do a lesson where the kids created
their own jungle to paint. I would bring in tropical plants
and build a jungle in the middle of class. The students
would draw plants from observation, one at a time, until
they had filled their jungle. We had lots of overlapping
and cropping of course. Then they added an animal or two,
or three. I tried to get across the concept that Rousseau
had never been in a real jungle either, and had made his
jungles up after visiting the city arboretum. The lesson
also provided a challenge for students to create lots of
different kinds of green. We made it a contest to see who
could create the most greens. I know a lot of adult artists
who could use that challenge. I did this with 6th and 7th
graders. That was back before we were cut from 18 down
to 9 weeks for art, so I dropped the lesson. I don't remember
which reproduction I used but the one below would work well.

"Tropical Forest with Monkeys"
http://www.nga.gov/cgi-bin/pimage?60987+0+0
                                                        Woody in KC

--
              I'm from Kansas,  where the Legislature and BOE
are trying to define the term "suitable" because the constitution requires