a "suitable" education ??????

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 10:32:31 PDT

I just changed the wording in my signature file that I attach to
every e-mail. Most people don't read them cause they saw it
before. But Kansas never fails to amaze me. We spend so little on
education compared to several other states. And now the State
BOE and the legislature are looking for the price and meaning of
the word "suitable". Our state constitution says that the sate must
provide a "suitable" education for students. Now they spend time
trying to find the meaning of "suitable". What a wimpy word.
Sounds to me to mean just enough but not too much. They need
to change the constitution to require an "excellent" education or
an "exemplary" education. Maybe we should ask the members
of the legislature what a "suitable" education is for their own kids
and the rest of us will expect the same for our children too.
        This news article was in this mornings KC Star:
http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/local.pat,local/3accd761.723,.html
                                                In my opinion, Woody in KC

--
              I'm from Kansas,  where the Legislature and BOE
are trying to define the term "suitable" because the constitution requires