What to do on a hot summer day - come to San Francisco where it's nice and cool

---------

From: Jean Eger (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 09:50:19 PDT

You're right about San Francisco being cold in August. Come with layers!
The ocean fog is our natural air conditioning. We're preparing to go
camping at San Simeon this weekend and go see the Hearst Castle. We got the
next-to-the-last campsite available in all the state parks in the area for
Friday night, but no where to sleep Saturday. Reserve early for California
coastal camping!

In San Francisco I usually look for print exhibitions, because I am a
printmaker. I also like to see what's on at the beautiful downtown SFMOMA
http://www.sfmoma.com/, or the Henry Moore show at the Legion of Honor
http://www.thinker.org/
The Exploratorium usually has good art-related exhibitions. They have a
hold-over about motion picture making.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ Being an old bird myself (58), I am planning
to see the "Elder Arts Celebration" at the San Francisco Art Institute,
August 3-17.

Subsitute teaching in S.F. leaves me a little time after work to explore the
city. I have been enjoying driving around the Presidio, finding the views
of the Golden Gate Bridge from several vantage points. Fort Point is worth
a visit, if you like spectacular scenery.
http://www.presidiotrust.gov/park/ggnramap.asp Luckily, I get visitors, so I
take time to see the sights with them! The cable car ride is a must
http://sfmuni.com/aboutmun/cablecar.htm, but forget Fisherman's Wharf.
Alcatraz is great http://www.nps.gov/goga/, so are the sea lions at Pier 39.

Jean
http://www.jeaneger.com