More info about Jill Hodgins site

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 07:30:32 PDT

For those who haven't explored Jill's (New Zealand) site:
http://www.geocities.com/artroomroskill/homepage2.html

I have been snooping through it and was intrigued by the Shells - ink
and dye - so I asked Jill about them. They reminded me of
Polynesian/South Pacific - Tapa cloth (examples in Crizmac).
http://www.geocities.com/artroomroskill/mixture.html
This is what Jill sent to me:
>Shells. Yes, they were black pen, and the borders were not stamped,
the
>students used pen there too! Dye in the negative space. The borders
were
>loosely based on Pacific Island designs.

(Judy talking) - Borders could also be stamped (using various
methods). I thought this was another good example of showing
inspiration of cultural work without copying the motifs/symbols of
that culture.

Another project I found impressive were the clay tiles - house relief
http://www.geocities.com/artroomroskill/mosaics_claytiles.html
Artist of the week:
http://www.geocities.com/artroomroskill/artistoftheweek.html

>Clay House relief. We have a lot of old wooden villas and bungalows
in
>the central part of Auckland. The pupils drew up their house onto
>cardboard (with all the details), rolled their clay out between two
>sticks, placed their cut out card house on top and cut it out. They
then
>built up the more raised parts of their house, pushed some parts in,
>etc. So really, you guessed right! They were bisque fired, then
painted
>all over with burnt umber stain, and washed under the tap till the
stain
>just remained in the 'cracks'.

As you snoop through -- you will all find LOTS of work that is
impressive.

Terrific Tuesday!

Judy Decker

---