Re: viruses - just a reminder

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 15:44:03 PDT

I had been getting these odd e-mails with alot of gibberish - squares, symbols, etc. Immediatly upon opening the e-mail (I use Outlook Express so e-mails automatically open to the next letter upon deleting the last one) a download box popped up saying I needed such and such program to open the e-mail. I cancelled the download immediately. Ticked me off royally as I don't want any e-mail that downloads programs without my consent, so I just blocked the sender. I wish some people would find something better to do with their time. :-(

I agree with Sharon - if it's a marketing ploy it's not a very good one. A friend of ours opened his own computer store. He would send out "ads" to everyone in his address book - sometimes 3-4 a night. They were full of graphics and sound and froze up my computer every time. So he's on my blocked sender list as well - and I know and respect him, just couldn't handle his e-mails anymore.
~Michal

  I've been getting a whole lot of emails (at least one per day) from different people with different attachments, but the message is ALWAYS the same, something like: "Hi, I am sending you this file for your opinion." The files are usually .doc, but one was a .doc.pif which I'd never really heard of, but apparently it's a dos program.

  I've just deleted all of them without opening them, but I'm really curious about them.

  If it's some sort of spam marketing ploy, they're wasting their time--not a lot of people WILL open attachments from people they don't know.

  Anyone else been getting these? Did you open it? What is it?

---