Art RULES (Guidelines)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 15:29:24 PDT

This is in response to Jackie Aust's request for classroom guidelines.
I teach middle school and spend one whole class period discussing with
the kids what the art room rules should be and what consequences there
should be for breaking the rules....We do this so that all students
know that ART RULES (a line I stole from Sharon Kennedy --I think)
....Remember we (ART) are the curriculum....Art does RULE.

I have ordinary rules posted o a bulletin board:
1. Follow directions the first time they are given.
2. Take care of ALL art materials (and school facility). Use tools as
demonstrated. Respect all property.
3. Keep hands, feet and objects to yourself. NO GUM ALLOWED.
4. Be to class on time--AND PREPARED WITH PENCIL. Stay in assigned
seat or area unless given permission to do otherwise
5. Work QUIETLY on projects -- use time wisely (NO SOCIALIZING).
Respect others at all time
6.ALWAYS clean up after yourself.

Of course... I DO have gum in my room at all times -- just don't allow
gum chewing because that is against our school policies. After this
type of discussion, students find the consequences to be fair. I keep
a record in my "Book for Naughty Boys and Girls"
(http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/DISCIPLINE.htm -- form can be sent
privately Jdecker@woh.rr.com - the one on the Web doesn't have all
grid lines)

I also have this posted in my room (on a different wall):

Remember the Four R's
Respect others at all times
Respect materials and personal property
Respect the school facility and equipment
Respect yourself - always do your best.

Here is another one I will post in my room:
Treat others as you wish to be treated.

I am still working on those "Ten Guidelines" I would like to see
posted in all school buildings...Once I get those done, I will post
them to the list.

Judy Decker

---