Pine Needle Baskets - links

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 10:41:45 PDT

I haven't been reading everything lately.....so I don't know if these
links have been posted yet.

From Native Tech:
http://www.nativetech.org/coil/coilpine.html

How to:
http://www.nativetech.org/coil/coiinstr.html

Baskets from Nicaragua (very affordable)
http://www.oneworldprojects.com/products/pineneedle.shtml

Wyandot Indians:
http://www.wyandot.org/pineneedle.html

Work by Bunki Kramer's students:
http://ww2.lcms.srvusd.k12.ca.us/faculty/Kramer/pinenedd.htm

I would recommend trying to get a sample of a basket to show students.
I have a couple from Central America and one from Africa (using the
same techniques). You could try the One World Projects site. If your
area does not have an art resource center -- try putting a "bug" in
someone's ear. Lima has ArtSpace/Lima. There are many culture trunks
that teachers can sign out for a two week period (as well as videos,
prints, books, slides, resource kits). It was these culture trunks
that got me even more interested in collecting my own cultural
artifacts (a collection that has just grown even more this past
week -- I now have a Cameroon bronze cast guardian dog --will put him
on my site soon).

Judy Decker

---