chihuly info

---------

From: Dawn M Low (dawn1881_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 19:55:08 PDT

If you are interested in finding more information on Chihuly, he has a
pretty extensive PR machine behind him. I would suggest checking out his
website (www.chihuly.com) and try contacting his publisher, Portland
Press, to see if they would send you any sort of "freebies" that you can
share with your class. I would also suggest contacting the Holsten
Gallery in Stockbridge, MA as they are his representatives in the
Northeast and can provide extensive information on Chihuly and his
processes, history, etc. I am sure his publicists would be interested in
hearing of any projects you are doing with your class, as it is more
publicity for him as well.

I also recommend investigating Lino Tagliapietra, who was recently
awarded the Society of Arts and Crafts 2001 Medal of Excellence for his
contributions to the field of crafts. He is the first non-American to win
the award, and has influenced a generation of artists in America
(including Chihuly-- i.e. his Venetians series).

And without putting in a cheesy plug for my own institution, we have
mounted shows by both Chihuly and Tagliapietra this past year. I would be
happy to email to interested parties some of the teacher resource sheets
I generated for both exhibitions. We also have a really excellent color
catalog on Lino and his influence on other artists as well for anyone
interested in showing his work to students (although I cant exactly give
that away). We are hoping to sell it through Amazon.com perhaps in a few
months...

Dawn Low
Director of Education
Fuller Museum of Art