Re: in-class critiques

---------

From: Bill Sechler (Billse_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 16:42:18 PDT

Class critiques are touchy, you need to keep the students focused on using
the Principals and Elements of Art as the basis of comments and
suggestions and later questions. I require all advanced level students to
present at least one piece per year and often two, in class critiques,
they are only required to speak (the artist) at the beginning to state the
title and medium and at the end to answer questions, students are asked to
comment on the work with qualifying statements that refer to the
principals and elements of art. Positive comments and questions are
directed to the artist after the audience has had a chance to interpret
the work without the artists intention/insight being known so the artist
has a chance to learn if their picture is understood as they intended.

---