Re: Enthusiasm?

---------

From: Janice Keenan (jekteachme_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 10:46:57 PDT

  I don't think anyone is pitting art teachers against
each other...just generally venting frustration. I
find most of my problems with validating my position
(teaching elementary kids) not from other art teachers
but from the general teaching staff. I hear remarks
like "You're such a good art teacher...why are you at
the elementary level, you should be teaching high
school, where it really can make a difference!" Boy,
do I get aggravated with that! Each level has its
purpose, its rewards, its frustrations. With all the
problems that do exist at the elementary level the one
of the main reasons that keeps me here is seeing the
surprise and excitement of these kids when they begin
to understand and experience the depth of art and how
it is so much more that just drawing 'pretty
pictures'! This is where the seed is planted and as
they get to middle and high school the seed sprouts
and grows.
   Jan from Miami