Re: re-energizing the artist

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 07:10:20 PDT

Gosh...where'd summer go? The last three weeks were spent at a week long
arts/music festival camping and taking in. A number of years I have taught
painting/drawing workshops there. You know how we do the family get
together things as well.....but, I've managed to get in a lot of painting
this summer.

I did not make the cut for this year's entrees to the national "Arts for the
Parks" competition. Over 2,000 entrees this year, so..maybe next year.
Looking for new sites as possible painting sites for the following year's
entrees keeps me going. I'll be leaving for a few days this week to paint
in Michigan's UP area, that...and a bit of fishing. Have one week planned
for camping and painting in Wisconsin's Door County, which has many thriving
arts communities in this peninsula surrounded on one side by the bay of
Green Bay, and the east side Lake Michigan. My goal to produce about two
dozen paintings of that area for possible gallery entree up there next year.

And...as of yesterday, I am involved with plans with a talented sculptor and
photographer to put on a week long workshop involving the spiritual and the
arts in Pecos, New Mexico. Plans now are to arrive about 1-2 weeks prior to
the workshop and travel a bit for good painting sites, do a few paintings
myself. I imagine it will be much fun, and the Grandma Moses museum is not
far as well as the ruins and villages of the Pueblo and Navaho, and various
monuments. We expect to spend some time in Sante Fe as well.

Then we are talking about a possible workshop the following year, perhaps in
the Virginia Blue Mountains. This development excites me....

I have an invitational on the weekend of August the 4th, and am trying to
get about eight more paintings done before then. Get active....get
involved...be creative...therein you find purpose, meaning...and energy!

Larry Seiler
http://www.artsmentor.org

---