Re: Enthusiam?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:16:20 PDT

I am not sure what this is response to ---- I must have missed something
but I feel a need to reply.
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO BENEFIT IN PITTING TEACHERS AGAINST TEACHERS.
Elementary teachers, Middle school, high school --- we all have problems and
if we think the our level is better than another then there is no benefit to
standing together as a group.
I represent all the art teachers in my district and none has any advantage
over the other. If teachers themselves feel that one level of instruction
has an advantage over another than how do we ever battle the public
perception that we are nothing but babysitters? Each level has it's unique
responsibilities. There are tradeoffs all down the line and none has any
more or less requirements than the other.
I get this feeling all the time that elementary teachers think Middle school
teachers have it better and Middle schoolteachers think High School teachers
have it better and it just ain't so.

We are all teachers. No one exhibits more enthusiasm, or humor, or risk
taking over an other.
Please, we have enough battles, without thinking that within or own realm we
have to make distinctions.

Patty

> Hold on there- From my experience elementary art teachers show the most
> enthusiasm and have the best since of humor. They are more apt to take risks
> and are more whimsical. Elementary art teachers establish the "art mindset."
> They can destroy or quench the creative spirit in children. They have
> hundreds of students each week. They have to have a lot of enthusiam just to
> get through the week! I don't think this list is necessarily a microcosm of
> art teachers in general. In my experience, elementary art teachers are less
> likely to use technology (than middle) so there may not be as many
> elementary art teachers on this list. Elementary art teachers have lower
> budgets, less planning time, little or no access to equipment, smaller
> artrooms, more students,etc. In addtion-no support from the administration.
> What does this have to do with them being on the artsednet list? Well, I
> would think the more one uses technology, the more ways one discovers it's
> uses.
> Don't mean to get on a soapbox but someone has to ( from time to time.)
> Martha Ulakovits
> Elementary Art Teacher

---