Re: re-energizing the artist

---------

From: sandra summers-barrick (tamayo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 13:24:27 PDT

I've spent the summer working with my kids and testing projects for
different ages. It helps to know what I'd change. They are 10 1/2 and 7.
So far we have been learning about Rome, so first we made sandals
(definitely need something better than mattboard or cardboard and cord
for the string. We've done mosaics, which was hard to find at tile
stores (retail not wholesale and asking for broken pieces).We have made
the Knee hi sculpture and thanks to Bunki and a few others, I definitely
would change some things I did. So glad I tried this first on them!!!!
painting and clay. Then I've been working on a mosaic for the past month
myself and I've changed into more of a 3d artist. I am making coconut
sculptures. You know the mexican masks made out of coconuts, well I am
using the same material to make sculptures and they are turning out
pretty good. Since it's hard to work on my own stuff when the kids are
around I am including them in on my art materials. We are making paper
this week and I have quite a garden so I am incorporating it into art. I
also am growing birdhouse gourds and mini pumpkins to use in the fall
projects. I would still like to do either a small screamer or oaxacan
project before we go back to school.
Later,
Sandra aka astroboy

---