Re: Frida Kahlo-stamp?

---------

From: Chris Allred (callred_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 07:43:15 PDT

Frida Kahlo was a wonderful artist, although I think the irony of being on
an American postage stamp would not be lost on her. It's interesting that
there was a time when she was considered to be in the shadow of her then
more famous hubby, Diego... I think most art historians now would agree
that Kahlo is MUCH more important in terms of art history. Her work was
much more personal, intimate, and radical...qualities we tend to admire in
contemporary work over political statements. I am also a fan of Rivera's
work, but not with the same intensity as Kahlo's. I'm glad she's getting
recognition even if it is on something as pedestrian as a stamp.