Re: job decision

---------

From: M Ulakovits (msqu_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 07:22:21 PDT

Kimberly,
    In my area, it's hard to ''break in." I would take the job. Join the
local art educator's association and start going to meetings. Here, once you
know the teachers, they let you know when someone is leaving or retiring.
They will even recommend you fortheir position after they've seen you work.
I do know of a teacher at our school who took a position, kept searching and
then told the principal at the last minute, she had another position. I
wouldn't advise it. It's unprofessional. There's no way to know if there's
something wrong with the position you were offered. Ask about the schedule
and don't forget the extra duty. Ask about the budget and ask tour the room
and the school. Is the school in decline? Is it in a "war zone?" Did the
principal mention why the last teacher left? If it's only for one year, the
teacher is probably coming back. So it can't be too bad??!!
Martha Ulakovits

---