Re: Re-enegizing the Artist

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 20:16:54 PDT

> << What are you doing? taking classes? Working in your studios? Out
> taking photos? >>

  Its been a summer of growth and relaxation! Roberta

I hope many of you are taking this time for growth and relaxation. I think
the most important thing we do as teachers is grow and explore and delve
into things that we too often put off during the school year.

I think I have finally learned that there is nothing to be gained from being
"on the treadmill." I have been doing it for far too long a time.
It's a tough lesson -to learn the difference between responsibility and
"perceived" obligations. It's a cliche for sure, BUT, if you are not good
to yourself you cannot be good to anyone else.

I have returned to my first love -- that which drove me for as long as I
can remember. It's fabric and fibers and fashion. I'm sewing again, and
making my own cut velvet and hand painted fabrics --- the other day I just
sat in front of my fabric collection and looked and marveled and touched
smelled it.

Whether it is playing with your children or building a pond or painting or
whatever it is that gives you a little space to "look" and take some time
DO IT

For those of you on this list that are young and just getting started. Be
aware of what we are saying. Be consumed by being a teacher, do all you have
to to be the teacher you are proud of, but DO NOT forget that you are also a
person and an artist. And, that your perceptions in what you reveal to your
youngsters is dependent on you giving yourself the time to relish in just
what it is that made YOU an artist in the first place.

That's the lesson I am learning this summer - finding my simple joys of art
making The objectives and standards are very easy to plug in, when I
REMEMBER what it is that made me so happy to be an artist.
The hub-bub will start again very soon. And we will all have excuses for
not paying attention to the simple joys. And around January when you are so
stressed and perplexed, remember what makes you an artist and take some time
for it then, too.

Make joy so you can bring joy

Patty

---