Re: Foam sculpture

---------

From: Rodney and Barbara Boville (rboville_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 09:27:20 PDT

About 4 years ago I took a workshop from Jim Henson's (Muppets) widow at the
Betty Brinn Children's Museum in Milwaukee. The workshop was on foam
construction puppets., The foam used was 1" sheet foam and to make the base
head you needed a 12x18 sheet. Basically, after you make the initial "skull"
of the foam your creativity takes over. The class was a hoot. When I came
back to Green Bay I gave an inservice to the elementary art teachers. It was
great fun. The results were marvelous. During the school I presented the
project to one of my 5th grade classes that was a class of exceptional
children and the classroom teacher wanted the children to write some plays
after the construction of their puppets.I had wonderful classroom teacher
support. I had parent assistance come in also. My overall feeling was
although the foam puppets were a tremendous success, I would not do it at
the elementary level again. I think it would be a great middle school and up
experience. I will try to find my instruction sheets and hand scratced
lesson plan and type up a lesson plan. Personally I find it easy to submit
it to the Yahoo site, so if you joined the Yahoo art site, watch for it
posted on the lesson plan file....If you are not with the Yahoo Art site,
just email me directly and I will send the lesson as an attachment
eventually! Be patient.This will not be done tomorrow, or next week, because
we are busy with wedding showers and a coming wedding. Barbara in Green
Bay:-)

---