Re: Anticipatory set?

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 06:31:24 PDT

> It is my understanding also that the anticipatory set is connecting the
> lesson to that which is familiar to the students.
> Jackie Aust

It is also, as said: "the hook", and is best based upon prior knowledge.
You can reference the previous lesson in a sequence, something
covered in history or math, or even the assembly or field trip they
just experienced. Anything that will help focus attention upon the
lesson you are about to present and tie it to other knowledge.
Prior knowledge is a major problem when our modern day
students have such limited exposure, and of course they are young.
Thank God for old reruns and cable channels like TV land or my students
and I would have little common references. MTV, and Reality TV are
not turned on at my house. My daughter-in-law wanted to block
the music channels (her older daughter was visiting) so the triplets
would not be exposed. Time Warner wanted to charge her $$ to
block each channel. On my Direct TV setup we can block any channels
we choose with the remote. Well, I digress or is it called "birdwalking".
                                Off Topic Again, Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on  mailto:wduncan@kc.rr.com