Re: Keeping their eyes off the merchandize.....

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 04:52:22 PDT

In a message dated 07/19/2001 4:04:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wduncan@kc.rr.com writes:

> With all of the modern images of the female form out there it's
> hard to imagine 7/8th grade boys getting too much thrill from
> old Nat. Geographic magazines. Sounds like a "Happy Days" rerun.
> I simply joke it off in my class and tell them they have to get their
> thrills outside of school. I tell them there is a BOE rule "no frontal
> nudity allowed". Of course I'm setting myself up for a butt collage.

This past year my 4th grade classes used magazine pics from all kinds of
magazines, National Geographic to Woman's Day. They created juxaposed
combinations in a unit on Surrealism and painted an enviroment using
watercolors for the background. Anyway, here's the point: When I began the
instructions I matter-a-factly said with a straight face, "As you look
through these magazines you will find some photos that are not school
appropriate. Please do me a favor and just tear them out and throw them
away. Put them in the waste barrel in the center of the room." The kids did
just that, ( some, after sharing the photo and a giggle with a friend at the
table). Others called me over to show me and ask, "Is this school
appropriate?" or they asked a friend and you could hear the kids telling each
other, "That one is not school appropriate!" They actually had a good time
making trips to the waste paper basket!
Susan on Long Island

---