Rewards for Efficient Clean Up

---------

From: Mark Alexander (malexander06_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 04:44:44 PDT

I really love Lin's Draw Starts idea! I'll put it in my hat and pull it out
sometime as a reward for cleaning up on time. I do a version of Draw Starts
with first grades-but the kids have to make something out of a mark their
neighbor made. We do this after reading "Big Mistake," a picture book about
an artist who makes a mistake and lets her imagination make it into a
circus. (book is in school, on the shelf right next to my memory, I think,
but if you're interested I can let you know more).

My student's favorite reward for efficient clean up has always been Art
Hangman. (+- grades 3-6) Again, this is an old idea, but with an art twist.
I just have to put the blanks on the board and suddenly they're all super
attentive. I pick a person "with a quiet hand" to guess a letter. They get
it right, they get to pick the next person "with a quiet hand" who will
guess a letter. They get it wrong, they have to answer an art related quiz
question on the spot. Unlike regular hangman, I don't draw a gallows, and I
do not allow whole word guessing. I prefer instead to let everyone get a
chance to see the word develop, and if there is someone who knows the word,
they'll have to try to spell it out. Sometimes they know the word and their
friend doesn't, forcing them to pick someone other than their friend. Kind
of a cool dynamic. And what I like about it is they really buy into the game
show stuff-while reinforcing vocabulary pulled right out of their lesson.

Mark