Re: Pine Needle Baskets

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 22:53:42 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

> Help! I bought a book on making the pine needle baskets and plan on doing
this> with my highschool students. Does anyone know of web sites that would
tie in> with the pine needle baskets? The book refers to woodland native
americans.
> Someone once mentioned the Civil War, but I am not sure what the reference
> referred to. Would appreciate your ideas. Thank you! Sharon

Sharon. You can check out our school art website. I have several pine needle
baskets you can see that we made. We have used both raffia and crochet
string. The raffia is more difficult but the kids like the natural look
better with the raffia and most chose to do it that way.

During the war, the blockades prevented cloth and other materials for
women's fashions from reaching their shores. To make bonnets, the women
would weave pine needles...like coiling baskets...for this particular item.

Toodles....Bunki

---