Chihully's Blown Glass (Long)

---------

From: SHARON STEERE (SS21803_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 11:30:04 PDT

Susan.
Chihully did a site specific work in Jeruselum, it was broadcast on
PBS. It was out doors. It happened to snow and that even added to the
exhiibt. If you can picture all these beautiful intense colors of clear
glass against a backdrop of white snow and buff colored stone. You
almost have to see it to appreciate it. Words just won't do it
justice! On one of the open buildings Chihully placed these long cobalt
blue cylinder sword like shaped glass pieces, so they were viewed from
below. Another installation was like a bottle tree. It seems to me
like it was constructed of welded rebar, which is used in concrete to
reinforce it. He used it to construct this tall tree like structure
that all this glass would hang on. Again one has to see it to
appreciate it!
The Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha, Nebraska has a permanent installation of
Chihully's work. It is multicolored blown glass pieces. All screwed
into a base that goes from floor to ceiling in a window that is two
stories high. The art is that tall. It is shaped somewhat like an
inverted "V", growing wider at the bottom with all these multi colored
peices of animal horn formed pieces. That is the closest I can come to
describing it. When Chihully was there for a visit and exhibition, he
had what was called an Persian ceiling. It was a glass ceiling with his
blown glass forms seen from below, over your head as you walked through
this hall. It was beautiful. I thought it would have made a good
purchase for the museum but they bought the other one. The persian
ceiling, was called that because of Persian or oriental carpet. The
forms reminded one of an undersea garden or tropical fish. Some of the
forms were shaped like shells, but all clear glass that was so awesome!
In Venice Chihully did a work (and this is on a Video tape too) He had
tons of glass peices made. He has over 150 people that help him. He
employes them. They took the glass and hung it like chandliers from
trees along a creek and then threw blown glass floats in the creek.
some bottle like forms broke and he later had his mean clean up the
shattered glass. The purpose of the exhibit was to draw attention to
the creek, the environment, as in environmental art!
Chihully works with kids at risk and introduces them to making art. He
also works with kids at the exhibit he had at Joslyn and they squirted
paint on the papers on the floor and he squirted paint all over the kids
tennis shoes, to the delightful squeals of the crowd of kids! He
exhibited his painting that inspire his glass forms. He is quite the
showman--seems to enjoy all aspects of the art he makes! The exhibit in
Omaha even included a demonstration area where you could actually see
the glass being blown. Many of the educational catalogs have his
videos. some of his small dish like abalones or sea like creatures that
were only about 12 inches in diameter sell for $40,000! If you ever
watch the show FRAZIER, they have a Chihully sitting in the main living
room. It sits on a small table. It has undulating sides wide at the
top and narrow at the base. It fans out ward and upward, sort of cone
like only wide open and undulating at the top. Chihully even sculpts in
snow! He is fascinated by the translucent quality of light coming
through the snow crystals. He relates it to the glass blowing in this
way.
I hope this gives you a better understanding of Chihully!
Sharon

>> Chihully just completed a blown glass project in Jeruselum--it is on
>> video
>> tape!
>> Sharon
>
> Sharon, what kind of project? As a contempory glass collector, I'm
> intrigued
> with Chihully. Has anyone seen the A&E special on Chihully in Venice
> or his
> work last year at glass exhibit at The American Craft Museum in NYC?
> Boy, do
> I wish I could afford a genuine Chihully. Susan on Long Island ---

---