Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on getty.edu! GettyGames

Re: I have a job offer and need some advice

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 14:20:17 PDT


Kimberly Hutts wrote:
>
> <snip> Yesterday I got a
> call from District U46, the second largest district in
> Illinois, offering me a full-time position, but it is
> only a one-year opening. <snip> Should I take this job even though I know
> of openings that I haven't applied for yet? Is it
> possible that they want me to decide quickly because
> the offer isn't ideal and they might have trouble
> filling it? <snip> If I do accept the position
> should I stop applying and interviewing for other
> positions or keep trying to find something better? If
> I did get a better offer should I back out of this
> one to take it or stick to my first commitment? <snip>

Kimberly,

If the job sounds like one you want and would be happy in, I say go for
it. No, I don't think they're rushing your decision to hide something;
they may have other applicants that want the job, and you're the one
they chose. You are a professional now, and should act accordingly:
don't commit and then back out. ESPECIALLY don't sign a contract and
back out of it. In AZ, and probably in many other states, backing out of
a teaching contract can cause your certificate to be withheld, and then
you can kiss your career goodbye before it even starts.

Good luck. It's a tough decision, I know. When I was offered my first
teaching job--I didn't even apply, they offered me the job after a brief
interview--I really didn't want it, wasn't what I was looking for, it
was on a rather remote reservation, I wanted to stay in the city, but
some friends said, "You can stick out anything for nine months. Take
it, it might be interesting." So I did. That was 17 years ago, and I'm
still here. :)

Maggie

---