Re: I have a job offer and need some advice

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 12:31:49 PDT

Congrats on the job offer!
on the one-year thing: that's the same kind of offer they make new teachers in
my district. They call it a probationary contract. The following year a
teacher would be asked to sign a three year contract. So maybe it's just a
standard procedure.
I don't think you should worry that they are trying to make you rush so you
accept a less than ideal position. I suspect they want you to decide quickly
because if you decline, they want to be able to offer the position to their
next choice before that person hears of another offer. All the principals
want to get their people hired and naturally in a hurry to snag the best people
they can.
I felt like you do when I accepted my job last month. It's nerve wracking
weighing all the pros and cons. I agreed to the offer but kept looking until I
signed my contract last week! I didn't see anything else I wanted more, so I
didn't end up having to decide whether or not to back out. And although mine
isn't the "ideal" job, there are some very ideal things about it and a lot I
can work on to make it more ideal as I go.
So take it easy! And good luck!

---