Re: Jewish art- Thank you

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 09:54:00 PDT

Laraine,
        I did not see the theme of Jerusalem as narrow minded
until I read your last post. I thought Susan's suggestion on the
three major religions that have impacted the city was very
insightful. KU used to do an Art History course around a major
city, Paris, Moscow, Tokyo, etc., each year. I found it a very
good way to broaden the scope of the curriculum. I can even
see the nomadic nature of the Palestine culture being included.
But, now I read your words about "taboo subjects" and
"non kosher" animals and I wonder what kind of restrictions
you teach under. Children need a strong respect and understanding
for their own culture. But, at some point they will enter the real
world and they must understand and respect other cultures
as well. Please explain a little more about your teaching situation.
                                                Confused, Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on  mailto:wduncan@kc.rr.com